Are you making the most of your salads? Toss these five cancer-fighting and tasty ingredients together for a salad that is healthy, flavorful, and fun:
1. Dark greens. Darker is better when it comes to choosing your greens. Romaine lettuce, arugula, and spinach are rich in folate, a vitamin B compound that is great for fighting abnormal DNA changes that triggers cancer cells.
2. Carrots. Whether you eat it shredded or in sticks, make like Bugs Bunny and toss in some carrots in your salad. This Vitamin A and beta carotene-rich vegetable can help reduce your risk of developing ovarian and kidney cancer.
3. Tomatoes. Lycopene in tomatoes helps fight free radicals that cause abnormal changes in your cells. Slice a few and toss them in for extra insurance against prostate and colorectal cancers.
4. Beans. Not only are they tasty and creamy, but beans are also great at producing enzymes that slow down tumor growth.
5. Avocados. Avocados are high in fat, but it's good fat - a necessary component that helps your body absorb other nutrients like vitamins A and E. So instead of cheese or mayo, toss in a few avocado slices.
Written By: Kristine Gonzaga