Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Avocado: High Fat Can Be Healthy

Avocados are known to be high in fat. But did you know that they are considered as one of the healthiest fruits in the planet? So if you are avoiding avocados because of the fat content, you are missing on a lot of essential nutrients.

Although it's true that an avocado packs a lot of calories and fat into a small package, most are monounsaturated, which lowers "bad" LDL cholesterol and raises "good" HDL levels. The remaining fat is polyunsaturated. According to a study from Ohio State University, the fat in avocados may aid your body's ability to absorb certain nutrients. One such nutrient is lycopene, which may help prevent heart disease and prostate cancer; others include beta-carotene and lutein, which may decrease the risk of certain cancers and eye diseases.

But there's more to avocado than its good-for-you fat. Per ounce, avocados contain more fiber than other fruit; a typical whole avocado has a whopping 14 grams, which even rivals the fiber in a serving of shredded wheat and bran cereals. They also provide more protein than most fruits, making them a great energy source (since you need carbs, fat, and protein for sustained energy.

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to like the taste of avocados, but I've had a little bit of trouble. I liked it the first time I tasted it, but I think I need to think about it differently now so I can recapture what I liked then.

    ReplyDelete